For my recent laksa party, i made a rum & raisin ice cream.
It tasted fantastic.. in my humble opinion. but it is quite alcoholic, so if you love your rum, you will love this. Although, there are ways you can to make this less alcoholic.
160ml milk (i used low-fat)
2 egg yolks
200ml cream (any type will do, i used thickened cream)
70g raisins soaked in 70g rum (i used dark Jamaican rum)
Vanilla pod or vanilla extract (optional – but i used it)
1. Boil the milk with vanilla pods, if using.
2. In a bowl, cream the egg yolks and sugar till pale and creamy.
3. Add the milk slowly into the egg yolk mixture and keep whisking to ensure that the egg does not cook.
*Should you find that the eggs have curdled and you end up with scrambled eggs, don’t worry, get a sticker blender or a blender of any sorts and blend till the mixture is smooth and creamy again. If you were making a cream vanilla ice cream – this would make the ice cream taste slightly eggy, so if this happens, i suggest you change it to a flavored ice cream and there will be no problems.
4. Pour this custard mixture into a pot and thicken it over a low flame.
5. After it becomes nice and thick – able to coat the back of a wooden spoon, strain the mixture into a bowl, cover with Clingfilm. Let it cool before placing into the fridge for at least 2-3 hours, best if overnight. So if you’re having a party, this can be prepared beforehand.
6. Add the cream into the cold mixture and pour it into your ice cream machine and let it churn for 20 mins.
For a real alcoholic burst of rum, soak the raisins in rum overnight. The raisins will become really plump and you get a burst of rum whenever you bite into one. Add only the raisins and not the remaining alcohol – it would be much too overpowering.
To cut down, soak in raisins in lesser alcohol and soak it for a much lesser time, maybe just 3-5 hours.
7. Add the soaked raisins into the ice cream and stir well. If you wanted to add the remaining rum, make sure you strain it, as the raisins contain much sediment that you wouldn’t want in your ice cream.
8. Freeze the mixture in the freezer for as long as you can because the alcohol causes the churned mixture to soften.
9. All is left is to enjoy!
**Optional – when we first tried it, it seemed to taste as if there were chocolates in it. So what i did was to roughly chop up some dark chocolate and added them in, just to increase the flavor profile.